A photograph of Springfield College's first women's dormitory, Abbey Hall (right) and Lakeside Hall (left).On April 24th, 1934 Springfield College accepted a gift from Mrs. Emily F. Abbey Gill to erect a women’s dormitory, in anticipation of Springfield College accepting undergraduate women into the college. The college at the time accepted a few women in special undergraduate and graduate programs. The college continued to increase the number of women enrolled as undergraduate and graduate students, so in 1949 Mrs. Emily F. Abbey Gill donated a further $150,000 to finance the much needed women’s residency. Finally, on June 10th, 1950, Springfield College voted to inaugurate a regular undergraduate program for women, officially ending its s...